Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Week of Entertainment - Issue 1

This is just a little recap of the things I found interesting in the entertainment world over the past week.


First off, the Oscars happened.  As if nobody knew that already.  I thought Ellen did a fine job, and so did most everyone else I guess.  It had the most viewers of any Oscars for the past 10 years.  I'm not sure I understand all the people who hate on the Oscars every year.  Is it all politics?  Yes. (Heck, 2 of the academy members  apparently came out anonymously and admitted to voting 12 Years a Slave as best picture without ever having seen it.)   Is it actors patting themselves on the back?  Yes.  You don't like that?  Quit complaining and watch something else.  Despite these things, I still love watching the Oscars because it's still entertaining and it's about celebrating movies.  The only time it's messed up is when they choose a terrible host *cough* James Franco *cough*.  I loved watching Seth McFarlane last year.  And Ellen was quite entertaining this year as well.  It also helped that the movies were all quite good too.  Even if some people voted 12 Years without seeing it, it at least was one heck of a film, and quite deserving.  (Even though I wanted Gravity to win, but hey, they got umpteen million other Oscars that night.)  The Oscars make for a fun night to get together with friends and celebrate the one thing that everyone loves....movies.  My wife and I had our second annual Oscar party which was quite successful and a lot of fun.  Hope to keep it going.


Now, we have been seeing a ton of trailers for Captain America: Winter Soldier, and I have been getting more and more excited about this movie.  I think this is gearing up to be one of the best of the second phase for Marvel.  Usually I don't like getting too much of a look at a movie before it comes out, but I've gotta share the clip that they sent out this week.  All I've got to say is AWESOME!  I want more!


This year seems to be the resurgence of forgotten Frank Miller projects.  This weekend saw the opening of 300: Rise of an Empire.  This is apparently what they are calling an interquel to the movie 300, which came out way back in 2006.  I guess they were sick of sequels and prequels and decided to go with movies that take place at the same time as the first.  Not necessarily new, I guess.  I mean we all saw Lion King 1 1/2 right?  But, the project I'm more looking forward to is Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, the long-awaited sequel (at least by me) to 2005's Sin City.  This week we finally saw the arrival of the first trailer.  Personally I think Rodriguez has made way too many Spy Kids movies, but I really loved the style of the first Sin City and hope to see more of the same.  This trailer really looks like it might deliver.


And last, but certainly not least, was an e-bay sale this week for arguably the most recognizable bike in movie history.  One of the bikes actually used in the movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure sold this week for $36,000.  Seriously, why did no one buy this for me?  I want it.  I'll let you know when it goes up for sale again so you can break out your wallets.


Any news that caught your eye this week?  Any opinions about these items?  Let me know.


Until next time......remember, there's no basement in the Alamo!

No comments:

Post a Comment