Monday, May 5, 2014

A Week of Entertainment - Issue 8

To all my ones of readers out there, yes, this is a day late.  It was a good, but exhausting weekend so I chose sleep last night.  So, now, on with the show.


RIP Hoskins - And yet another sad loss in Hollywood.  Bob Hoskins was another one of those actors that could put any movie up a notch.  His first real breakout role was in the 1980 hit The Long Good Friday.  I have not seen this one yet.  I'll have to put that on "the list".  Of course I, along with many other people, will always know him for his role as the toon hating, alcoholic detective Eddie Valiant in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.  As for a film that may have gone under the radar a little, he did Mrs. Henderson Presents back in 2005 with Dame Judi Dench that I found quite enjoyable as well.  He had recently retired after being diagnosed with Parkinson's two years ago.  He died at the age of 71 from pneumonia.


Make Mine Marvel - And what's a week of news without a little Marvel in the mix.  Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada talked a little about the upcoming Netflix series.  Those would be Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones.  Daredevil is being cast right now, and it is confirmed that each of these series will be released in their entirety for binge watching as they are subsequently finished.  Also, they are taking a more gritty approach to the "street-level noir side of the Marvel Universe" with these series.  I think this new approach will be interesting to watch unfold.  Even if they don't throw any of these characters into the movies, these new series evolving into the Defenders mini-series could be a fun event to follow through the streets of Hell's Kitchen.


Hello, What Have We Here? - In another branch of Disney, the core cast list has been officially announced for Star Wars: Episode VII.  I probably don't have to say much about this, because there is no way you live outside of a cave without having heard it already 8 million times the day it was announced.  Newcomers include John Boyega (Attack the Block), Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver ("Girls"), Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis), Andy Serkis (Lord of the Rings trilogy), Domhnall Gleeson (About Time) and Max von Sydow (The Exorcist).  Of course the exciting news is the returning cast.  Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and Kenny Baker.  For returning cast, we're just missing the smooth talking Lando Calrissian.  It seems he must have gotten confused when he signed on for Dancing With the Stars instead of Star Wars.  All in all, it's an interesting cast.  With Kasdan writing and J.J. behind the wheel, I'd say we can at least be cautiously optimistic at this point.





Oh No! There Goes Tokyo! - I don't know what it is about this movie, but I am excited to see it.  It is my second most anticipated movie of 2014.  Let's hope it lives up to my expectations as much as The Winter Soldier did.  The above trailer is one that was just released this week and is also an exception to the rule for a little problem I have.  Trailers are giving too much away these days.  The one above included.  Before, there were hints that there would be a second monster in Godzilla.  Now they've flat out shown it to us.  I say this is the exception because somehow this new trailer only increased my anticipation.  That is not usually the case.  Trailers used to be one of my favorite things about going to the movies.  You see a little glimpse of what you can look forward to a couple weeks or months after the movie you are about to sit through.  Now, there is no anticipation.  Most trailers give away key plot points and even the twist in some movies.  Then you walk away thinking you don't really need to see that one at all.  Please Hollywood, bring back the shorter trailers.  Make me look forward to them in theater again, instead of looking at my watch wondering when they are going to end and the movie begin. (If you need any tips, look no further than Christopher Nolan)  And please Hollywood, make Godzilla be a good movie!


Stone vs. Fallon - For bit of fun to end the night I'm including the following video.  Partly because of the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 this past weekend.  Partly because I have a major crush on Emma Stone.  And partly because, basically, it's awesome and you should watch it.  Yes, I realize that first statement will deter a lot of you, but this clip really has nothing to do with the movie other than the actress.  I will not be seeing the movie until tomorrow night and am avoiding reviews until I write my own, but man, have I seen some unfavorable mentions in the headlines.  I will reserve judgment though and hope the majority of the critics are wrong.  In the meantime, here is Emma Stone vs. Jimmy Fallon in an epic lip-sync battle.





That about does it for me.  Have a fantastic day everyone!


Until next time.....if you can't stand the heat, get out of Hell's Kitchen!


Weekend top 10 at the box office:
1 - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (new release) $91.6M
2 - The Other Woman $14.4M
3 - Heaven Is For Real $8.6M
4 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier $7.8M
5 - Rio 2 $7.7M
6 - Brick Mansions $3.7M
7 - Divergent $2.2M
8 - The Quiet Ones $2M
9 - The Grand Budapest Hotel $1.8M
10 - God's Not Dead $1.8M

No comments:

Post a Comment