Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Week of Entertainment - Issue 5

We'll just get the depressing stuff done first.


RIP Rooney - Last Sunday we lost someone who's been entertaining us for nearly a century.  Mickey Rooney passed away at the age of 93.  And he kept going til the last, still making movies.  I'll always remember him for some of the children's movie roles I grew up seeing and hearing him in, such as Tod in The Fox and the Hound and Lampie in Pete's Dragon.  And then of course who can forget the awkwardly racist Chinese landlord in Breakfast at Tiffany's.  He had kept decades of people entertained on the big screen and small.  RIP Mickey Rooney, hope you get your eternal Summer Holiday.


RIP Warrior - First off, I have to say I haven't watched professional wrestling in years.  But, like every other young boy of the 80's, I grew up watching the stuff back when it was still the WWF.  The Ultimate Warrior passed away this past Monday.  I didn't follow him as much as some of the other wrestlers, but I had a college roommate who was his ultimate fan.  Sad to see another one of the originals go, and at such a young age of 54.


Maximum Carnage - So, comic book movie news is getting to be old hat by now.  I'm a fanboy, so I still love most of the movies, but the news front can be a little annoying.  However, the viral site for the new Spider-Man series has reference to Kasady, who would become Carnage.  This is more speculation than news, but a Carnage movie done right and rated a hard R would be amazing.  A Venom movie has already been confirmed, so Sony, make it happen.


Replacement - Following on the heels of Letterman's retirement news last week, they have already found a replacement for him when he leaves.  That man is Stephen Colbert, who got his start on the comedy news show The Daily Show.  He then went on to do his own satirical new show, The Colbert Report.  This move intrigues me because of the contrast between the two men and their respective shows.  Will Colbert bring his political satire to late night network television, or will he change his tune a little to fit the mold of the late show program?  I think he's a funny man and would like to see him bring a good balance between the two to give us something that sticks out from the two Jimmy shows.  We'll see soon who becomes the new reigning king of late night talk shows.


That is all for this week.  It is funny, I've found since doing this weekly blog, that most "entertainment news" you find out there is all the same.  Comic movies, reboots, sequels, and casting rumors.  If there's something of real interest that I may have missed (this is just a hobby on top of my full time job after all), let me know.


Until next time....I swear I saw a dragon!


Weekend Top 10 at the box office:
1 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier $41.4M
2 - Rio 2 (new release) $39M
3 - Oculus (new release) $12M
4 - Draft Day (new release) $9.8M
5 - Divergent $7.5M
6 - Noah $7.5M
7 - God's Not Dead $5.5M
8 - The Grand Budapest Hotel $4.1M
9 - Muppets Most Wanted $2.2M
10 - Mr. Peabody & Sherman $1.8M

No comments:

Post a Comment